Treating With HyperTET
HyperTET is a tetanus immune globulin (TIG) that provides rapid immune coverage, indicated for prophylaxis against tetanus following injury in patients whose immunization is incomplete or uncertain. It is also indicated, although evidence of effectiveness is limited, in the regimen of treatment of active cases of tetanus. HyperTET is the only TIG currently available in the United States.1
Although vaccines can provide lifelong protection, they can take weeks to build efficacy. A TIG provides immediate protection, which allows the vaccine the time needed to establish active immunity in high-risk situations.2,3 HyperTET contains high titers of tetanus antibodies and provides passive immunity for postexposure prophylaxis to a tetanus exposure.2,3
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the use of a TIG such as HyperTET may, if promptly administered, reduce the potentially life-threatening risk of tetanus when administered concomitantly with the tetanus vaccine.1,4
- Established history—more than 45 years of consistent supply and product support
- Mercury (thimerosal) and latex free
- US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) labeling for capacity to remove pathogenic prions
- Convenient prefilled syringes with BD UltraSafe® Needle Guards* to protect against needlestick injury
- Tamper-evident packaging
Immediate Protection With HyperTET1
HyperTET supplies passive immunity to those individuals who have low or no immunity to the toxin produced by the tetanus organism, Clostridium tetani. The antibodies act to neutralize the free form of the powerful exotoxin produced by this bacterium.1
If passive immunization is needed, the human tetanus immune globulin HyperTET, the only TIG available in the United States, is indicated.1
HyperTET contains high titers of tetanus antibodies for PEP, providing rapid immune protection for up to 21 days. Peak blood levels of immunoglobulin G (IgG) are obtained approximately 2 days after intramuscular injection.1 The half-life of IgG in the circulation of individuals with normal IgG levels is approximately 23 days.1
The Value of Human Tetanus Antitoxin in the Treatment of Active Tetanus1,5
In a clinical study from 1961-19625
20 patients were treated with HyperTET (single doses of 3000 to 6000 international units) in combination with other clinical and nursing procedures on admission to the hospital or as soon as the diagnosis was made. Larger doses were given to patients with either a rapidly progressing illness or short incubation period.
- 6 patients 45 years of age or older died of causes other than tetanus
Prior to this study, the reported national death rate for tetanus was 60%.
Safety Is a Priority1
Always a leader. Always dependable.
Grifols has provided more than 45 years of consistent supply and product support.
The capacity of HyperTET manufacturing process to remove and/or inactivate viruses has been demonstrated by laboratory spiking studies on a scaled-down process model using a wide range of viruses with diverse physicochemical properties.
The caprylate/chromatography manufacturing process was also investigated for its capacity to decrease the infectivity of an experimental agent of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE), considered as a model for the variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) agents. These studies provide reasonable assurance that low levels of vCJD/CJD agent infectivity, if present in the starting material, would be removed by the caprylate/chromatography manufacturing process.
HyperTET is made from human blood and may carry a risk of transmitting infectious agents, eg, viruses, the vCJD agent, and, theoretically, the CJD agent.
Treatment the removal
Traceability and Transparency of Information
Grifols employs a comprehensive tracking system called PediGri® that ensures full traceability from every donation.
- Each plasma unit is coded and computer-traced from the start of the process until the units are transformed into a final product
- Users can access the donation number and the viral screening conducted at the origin of the donation with the product lot number
- Specific information is also available, including the total number of plasma units, the total volume of plasma, the certificate of analysis showing the plasma origin viral screening, and biochemical characteristics of the final product
- Users can access the applicable product SPC/package insert for their country
For immediate, easy, and convenient access to all the information on the origin and quality of Grifols' plasma derivatives, visit www.pedigri.grifols.com.